Waxing: What You Need to Know
Tired of shaving your unwanted hair every few days? How about you consider waxing as a long-lasting solution with numerous benefits? Waxing is a popular hair removal technique that leaves you with smooth skin and even skin. Waxing is also an effective technique for removing large amounts of hair at once.
At signature skin care, we specialize in top-notch waxing services, making you feel comfortable from start to finish while maintaining high levels of cleanliness. Our highly trained and experienced estheticians personalize every waxing treatment, from pre-wax care that softens the skin during waxing to post-wax homecare tips to avoid discomfort and bumps. Our experts remove hair from all the areas in the body, including the back, face, underarms, legs, bikini area, and arms, with utmost care making you feel comfortable in your hair-free skin.
Types of Waxing
Waxing works best when the hair is ¼ inch long or three to four weeks grown, and the more consistently you wax, the lesser the hair grows back. Here are the common types of waxing:
Soft wax (strip waxing) is used when the wax is soft, and after application, the skin is quickly covered with a cloth (muslin) to dry. When dry, the wax strip is removed, removing the unwanted hair. The wax sticks to the hair and outer layer of skin, which comes off during a waxing. It works best on large areas of the skin like the back, arms, and legs.
Had wax is thicker than soft wax and is typically used for more minor, sensitive spots like the bikini area, upper lip, and underarms. The wax adheres to the hairs without sticking to the skin like soft wax and is applied when warm. After it cools and hardens, it’s pulled in the opposite direction of the hair growth and is less painful. There are no waxing strips involved. Hard wax can be applied multiple times, unlike soft wax, without damaging the skin.
Sugar wax contains natural ingredients, including hot water, lemon, and sugar, a method dating back to ancient Egyptian times. Sugar wax is suitable for all skin types and is ideal for people with sensitive skin. The wax does not stick on the skin and can be reapplied severally without harming the skin on any part of the body.
Benefits of Waxing
Other than waxing being a bit more painful than shaving, its benefits outweigh shaving. Waxing quickly removes hair from the roots. This weakens the roots making the hair thinner and less prominent while growing back, making your subsequent appointments less painful. Other benefits include:
Smooth and Exfoliated Skin
Waxing leaves the skin smooth while simultaneously peeling away excess dry and dead skin cells. The outer layer of the skin is stripped during waxing, leaving you with softer, brighter skin. It is important to note that waxing is not exfoliating. Avoid exfoliating 48 hours before and after waxing to avoid sensitivity. Post-exfoliate a few days after waxing to prevent ingrown hairs.
Slow Re-Growth and Saves Time
Hair takes longer to grow back when waxed than shaving. This is because the hair is pulled out by the roots, which take more time to grow. You no longer have to worry about hair growing back every few days, especially if you have a busy schedule. Waxed hair takes 4 to 6 weeks to grow back.
No Nicks and Cuts
Shaving makes you more prone to nicks and cuts that might leave you with scars. With waxing, you do not have to worry about damaging your beautiful skin with razor scars.
Minimal Prickling and Stubbles
Shaving results in stubbles making the skin feel rough or abrasive, and when the hair regrows back after shaving, you’ll start feeling itchy and prickly. This is because shaving cuts hair at an angle, unlike waxing which makes hair take longer to reach the surface, leaving the skin smoother longer.
Razor and skin-to-skin friction can cause inflammation. Discoloration occurs when the skin becomes thicker due to inflammation, making pigmentation more active. With waxing, you are less exposed to repeated friction and only need one appointment for over a month, giving your skin time to relax and calm down.
- Waxing may be painful for some people. To minimize the discomfort, take over-the-counter pain relievers or place an ice pack for about half an hour before waxing.
- Avoid retinol creams, hydroquinone, Accutane, blood thinning medication, and cortisone for 2 to 5 days before waxing since they may irritate the skin.
- Clean and dry the area to be waxed to remove any skin care products or dirt for the wax to adhere properly.
- Avoid anything scented or deodorant on the treatment area for a minimum of 24 hours after waxing.
- Don’t use the sauna, steam room, Jacuzzi, chlorinated pools, and hot baths for at least 24 hours to avoid aggravating the skin.
- Clean the area after waxing to avoid infection since the hair follicles are left open.
- Apply a cream like lavender oil or tea tree to soothe the skin after waxing. They also have antimicrobial and antibacterial and can help prevent irritation.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes to air out the waxed area and to minimize moisture.
- Avoid exercises for at least one to two days to avoid chaffing and sweating.
- Avoid touching the freshly waxed area to avoid irritation.
- Avoid tanning beds and direct exposure to the sun.
- Exfoliate with a loofah and shower gel after 24 to 48 hours to prevent ingrown hairs. Don’t forget to moisturize the area since dry skin can make the hair prone to breaking.
- Do not shave between waxing appointments to avoid disrupting your hair growth cycle and length.
Gentle Wax Services Near You at Edmond, Oklahoma City Area
We want you to look and feel your best always. Our licensed estheticians and friendly professionals ensure you have a relaxing time during your treatment and try and make it as painless and comfortable as possible. Ensure your hair is the size of a rice grain before your appointment.
For more information about waxing, schedule a consultation, or contact Signature Skin Care today.